Monday, November 12, 2012

My Favorite Thing - Not Health Related

Just about everyone who knows me, knows that I am a passionate gardener. It's something I've enjoyed since I was young. And even though it isn't directly related to health, it probably has a significant impact not only on my health but on the health of many others; those to whom I sell my superior produce.

For me, gardening is a way to relax, be outside, get good exercise and just have fun. Nothing delights me more than to see little seedlings begin to push through the soil. And harvesting my own non-GMO and pesticide-free vegetables and fruits is icing on the cake. Admittedly, there is quite a bit of work, but it's so gratifying to go out and pick the best, freshest vegetables imaginable.

I garden very differently from the way my parents did. And I'm continually reading and learning new things about gardening. In the last few years I've become very interested in gardening with heirloom varieties. Each year I try new seed varieties, participate in seed exchanges, save seed from my favorites and plant them again the next year.

So far I don't have a greenhouse, but it's one of my dreams! Then I'll be able to keep my plants outside instead of bringing them into my house each winter!

P.S. Since I wrote this quite a few years ago, my backyard now has a greenhouse. I discovered that having a greenhouse wasn't all that I expected it to be and I hardly use it at all now. Live and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Thanks for taking the time to add your voice to the conversation.