Friday, November 9, 2012

A Descriptive Story about a Memory

On Sunday, my husband and I went to the Dallas Arboretum along with a dear friend. She had tickets to share with us. What an enjoyable day!

But it brought back memories of the day my son and I spent the day at the Arboretum in Madison, Wisconsin. He was studying at Wheaton College at the time but I was there and we were in Madison - although I don't really remember why.

It was a gorgeous spring day and the birds were beginning to appear again after their winter absence. Both of us loved plants and there were so many to see. Most had labels and we delighted in exclaiming over this plant or that plant. And in the midst were the chipmunks, squirrels and birds. We did a lot of walking, as I recall. It was a big place. And we had a hard time trying to decide which way to go; there was so much to see. I'm sure we missed many of the areas. I don't recall seeing too many flowers but some were budding out and the earliest ones were in bloom, I'm sure.

The thing that stands out to me most was my delight and enjoyment in being able to share such a glorious day with my middle child. We had often enjoyed nature together, but it had been a long time since we'd had the opportunity. He had gone off to boarding school when he was in 10th grade, now he was in college and we were in Brazil. So spending the day together was a rare occasion indeed.

All these memories flooded my soul last Sunday as we walked and enjoyed the Arboretum in Dallas. It was very different. There were flowers in bloom everywhere and blown glass sculptures of enormous proportions, crowds of people and warm sunshine. My thoughts were on John who is no longer with us. If you care to read the story you can find it at Aloha is Forever..

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Thanks for taking the time to add your voice to the conversation.